Tuesday 30 March 2010

Argos

I am interested in the jewellery from Argos catalogues, I liked them because I thought they are funny and honest and I really enjoy browsing the catalogue poking fun at them but I didn’t like them because I thought they were a bit of a waste of natural resources. I am particularly interested in the men’s section so I made it into wallpaper with the intention of creating a sense of mass production as well as drawing people attention to the subject matter. The wallpaper doesn’t even look like a collection of jewellery from afar, the different tones of gold and silver blend into each other and their black background making an off bronze colour with only the thick metal chains standing out, It is rather disgusting. The closer you get to the piece the clearer the jewellery gets and it becomes enjoyable to browse the pages as if they were still in an Argos catalogue. So for me this piece set up an idea I still return to, making work which sits in between being beautiful and disgusting.

No comments:

Post a Comment